Saturday 18 July 2009

Homemade Cheese and Crackers

Hi all

well yesterday I thought I’d try my hand at basic cheese making and it was so easy and so much fun.
The results were delish!
Today I thought to go with the cheese I had made I would make some homemade crackers.
Well I am very happy with the results of those as well. Again it was so easy.
Really don’t know why haven’t tried it before. Sure I’ve been meaning to for ages but I just kept putting off. Guess I thought it would be more work than it was
Anyway if you are looking for a lovely snack completely homemade you really can’t go wrong with making your own cheese and crackers and I’ll guarantee there will be no leftovers.
This is a basic recipe I used to make cheese I only had a little milk so can’t give amounts


However ingredients for cheese
Milk
Lemon
Salt
I used chives (optional)


Add good grinding of salt to milk and then
Gently heat your milk up stirring regularly till little bubbles are forming and steam is coming of the milk you don’t want it to boil.
Turn the heat off and squeeze lemon juice into milk to cause the curds and whey to separate
Once completely separate drain your curds through cheese cloth discarding the whey
Once the mixtures has cooled a little, fold and hang your cheese cloth with the curds in it so that the rest of the whey drains away this takes about or so depending on how big a batch you make
Once all the whey has been drained take your curds out of the cheesecloth and you have cheese.
Here I put it into a bowl and tasted for seasoning.
I added another good grinding of salt and lots and lots of fresh chives.
I then potted it and refrigerated overnight



So easy and so tasty.
Now onto the Crackers again this recipe is so easy
Here’s the basic recipe I used for crackers
As usual I change my recipes so I can only give you guestimates as I rarely weigh or measure
11/2 cups Plain Flour
Good ½ cup Parmesan
¼ cup sesame seeds
3 tbsp soy sauce
½ cup I used groundnut oil
(use vegetable, olive whatever you like)
3 tbsp water
or more as needed
good grinding black pepper about ¼ tsp
Salt

Put all your dry ingredients into a bowl and mix well
Now add your oil and soy sauce and mix well
Add your water or as much water as needed to get a very soft pliable dough
Rest your dough for short time if able to
Gently roll out your dough to cracker thickness or a thickness you like and cut into shapes
Place on baking tray. I used greaseproof paper makes it so much easier
Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes
Now you can add a grinding of salt before putting crackers in the oven or you can add a grinding of salt after you have taken them out or can omit the salt altogether as the parmesan and soy give it plently of flavour.
Experiment have fun this is just a basic recipe
So easy and so delish.


Anyway those are my two recipes for fresh cheese and crackers

Have fun and experiment

Hugs Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment